Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Look What I Can Do!


One fun new thing we have put into play this 2010 is the Superstar Sign In clipboards. This is my effort to encourage some of those preschoolers who have been a little leery of writing their own name, to GO FOR IT! It's a little bit of bribery that is really paying off. Here's how it works: Each day, your child signs his/her name on the Sign In Clipboard and then receives any one of three prizes (and they never know what it will be). It might be a sticker, a small treat (like an m&m) or a high five! I have already seen great progress in the few short weeks we have implemented this activity! Continue to encourage your child to write his/her name at home and also, encourage them to stretch themselves in their efforts. For instance, with the three year-olds, I am happy if I can get them to write some or all of their letters on the line. However, with the four and five year olds, I would like to see more legibility, and possibly all the letters in the correct order. And for our five-year-old (pre-kindergartners) I would like to encourage them to put the capital letter at the beginning and use lower case letters for the rest of their name. Once they have mastered that, you can encourage them to move on to their last name! This really is a great multi-level activity and we will continue to do it each day at preschool!

No comments: